SOC101 - Quiz 4 Name____________________________________
1. ________ is the lifelong process of social interaction through which individuals acquire
a self-identity and the physical, mental, and social skills needed for survival
2. Studies of children who are raised in isolation suggest that
a. biological factors are more important than social factors in explaining human behavior.
b. human children must be exposed to contact with others in order to become human.
c. Human children have a remarkable ability to become socialized, even when they are raised in isolation.
d. Children who are not exposed to human speech will create their own language systems.
3. According to Charles Horton Cooley, our sense of self is based on our perception of
how other people think of us. Cooley referred to this process as the
a. reflective self
b. looking-glass self
c. role self
d. projected self
4. According to George Herbert Mead, _______ is the process by which a person mentally
assumes the role of another person or group in order to understand the world from
that personís or groupís point of view.
b. role projection
c. role making
d. role taking
5. The dramaturgical approach is:
a. a view of social interaction under which people are examined as if they were theatrical performers.
b. a framework developed by George Herbert Mead.
c. a phrase used to emphasize that the self is the product of our social interaction with others.
d. the process of discarding former behavior patterns and accepting new ones as part of a transition in oneís life.
SOC101 - Quiz 5 Name____________________________________
1. What is the name for humans who have some combination of male and female
a. Asexual people
b. Bisexual people
c. Transsexual people
d. Intersexual people
2. Why does the incest taboo exist in every society?
a. It limits sexual competition betweens members of families.
b. It helps define peopleís rights and obligations toward one another.
c. It integrates members of a family within the larger society.
d. All of the above are correct.
3. By what point in their lives do most young people in the United States today become
a. When they marry.
b. By the middle of college.
c. By the end of high school.
d. By age 13.
SOC101 - Quiz 6 Name____________________________________
1. Suppose a person who is under the legal age orders and is served a drink in a bar; this
individual is not discovered, so she is not labeled. This exemplifies _____ deviance.
2. According to Mertonís strain theory, _____ occurs when people accept the culturally
approved goals but adopt disapproved means for achieving them.
3. _____ leadership provides emotional support for members.
4. _____ theory states that individuals have a greater tendency to deviate from societal
norms when they frequently associate with persons who are more favorable toward
deviance than conformity.
a. Illegitimate opportunity
b. Differential association
d. Status frustration
5. According to Mertonís strain theory, _____ occurs when people accept the culturally
approved goals and pursue them through approved means.